Activities and Achievement
ACTIVITIES AND ACHIEVEMENTS
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL ENGAGEMENTS
- The VC and Director CDRM&DS attended the 4th International Conference on Disaster Risk (IDRC 2012) between 26th and 31st August, 2012.
- The Director represented the Center at the Understanding Risk Forum which took place in Cape Town, South Africa from 2nd – 6th July, 2012
- The Director of the Centre, Prof. A. M. Jinadu attended a UNDP Workshop on Strengthening Local Government and Decentralization Programme in Nigeria at the Presidential Hotel, Port Harcourt between 26th and 27th June, 2012
- Postgraduate School Board approved the results of the eight students presented to her for graduation on the 13th June 2012.
- The Centre successfully conducted the second in-house training for its staff and that of Niger State Emergency Management Agency on the use of Statistical Packages for Social Sciences (SPSS) and Time and task management for work place efficiency on the 9th May, 2012 at the Office of the Director, Gidan Kwano Campus. (i) presented by Prof. O. O. Morenikeji. (ii) presented by Prof. A. M. Jinadu.
- The Director of the Centre, Prof. A. M. Jinadu attended a collaborative workshop on peace building and conflict management for sustainable development in Nigeria organized by National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution at the Ta’al Hotel, Lafia, Nasarawa State between 22nd and 23rd March, 2012.
- On the 21st February 2012, the Director of the Centre, Prof. A. M. Jinadu represented the University as a consultant in the Good Governance Project for National Dialogue on Consolidated Report of Good Urban Governance (GUG) in Nigeria at Bolingo Hotel and Towers, Abuja.
- On the 6th March 2012, Centre organized the first Academic Board meeting held at the office of Director, Gidan Kwano Campus.
- On the 10th – 11th February 2012, Centre embarked on field trip to Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State on Flood Disaster Impact and Vulnerability Assessment in the Down Stream Communities of Shiroro Dam, Niger State.
- CDRM&DS hosted delegation from Gambian and NEMA officials – 3rd of March 2011.
- CDRM&DS visited MDAs and other stakeholders in DRR in Minna for collaboration.
- CDRM&DS signed MoU with Global Risk Forum (GFR), Davos in Geneva, Switzerland in May 2011.
- Inauguration of Disaster Risk Reduction Clubs in seven selected secondary schools in Minna on the 8th June, 2011.
- The Director participated in the VCA report review exercise conducted by NEMA and UNICEF at the Halal Fountain Hotel, Kaduna between 8th and 12th August 2011.
- The Centre participated in the National Pandemic Response Simulation exercise organized by NEMA between 24 – 25th October, 2011 at Victoria Island Lagos.
- The Centre participated in the NEMA – UNICEF Planning and Writing workshop in Kaduna between 21st and 24th November, 2011.
- The Centre attended and presented a paper on “Overview of Disaster Management in Nigeria” at a two day “National Workshop on the Rights and Needs of People Living With Disabilities in Emergency/Disaster Situations in Nigeria” organized by NEMA between 28th and 29th November, Lokoja, Kogi State.
In line with her mandate, the Centre engaged in community services, some of which are enumerated below.
- The Centre participated in the stakeholders’ review of the Niger State Climate Change Action Plan between 2nd and 3rd February, 2011.
- The Centre facilitated a workshop held by the Nigerian Army at the Military Cantonment – TRADOC, Minna on Research and Development in March, 2011.
- The Centre participated in the activities of Niger State Committee on Expected Excessive Rainfall inaugurated on the 11th, May 2011.
- Television and radio programmes were held on the 20th of June, 2011 to mark the World Refugee Day and to educate the public on the problem of refugees.
- The Director attended and presented a paper titled: ‘Disaster Management and Sustainable Development’ at a workshop organized by Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) held at the Niger State Fire Academy on the 12th of October, 2011.
- The Centre hosted Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) on the 27th of September, 2011 and initiated the process of MoU between the two organizations.
- The Centre conducted training on “Minimizing the Risk of Disaster in Public (Audit) Offices” at a one day in-house training organized by the Internal Audit Unit of the University on the 15th December, 2011 at the Gidan Kwano Campus.
|< Prev||Next >|