The office was established vide a letter with reference number R/CON/27 and dated 16th May, 2011. The unit is designed as part of the office of the Vice Chancellor. It has 3 lawyers and other administrative staff. The head is directly answerable to the Vice Chancellor.
The unit aspires to be the best established and efficient Legal unit amongst Nigerian universities.
To build an excellent and efficient legal unit worthy of emulation by other universities all over the world.
The idea of establishing a legal unit was borne out of the desire and need to have an efficient and effective unit that will coordinate legal activities in the University and liaise with external solicitors. The unit shortly after its establishment understudied three (3) universities with the aim of coming up with a proposal for effective take off of FUT Legal Unit. The Unit is is fully functional now and offering legal services to the university.
- Drafting and vetting of agreements and other legal documents in which the University has interest in.
- Writing briefs, instructions, letters and legal opinions to external solicitors on litigations or litigable matters before any court of law in Nigeria
- Vetting & confirming legal claims, responses or fees on cases in court as may be submitted by external solicitors.
- Drafting statutory or legal notice on matters affecting the corporate interest of the University.
- Conducting searches whenever necessary at Corporate Affairs Commission and any Legal Registry in which the University has vested interest.
- Offering professional advice on business transaction whenever so required by the University.
- Advising generally on legal issues affecting or likely to affect the university in relation to labor/ personal matters including the appointment, discipline & dismissal of staff.
- Monitoring of University’s pending cases in the court(s)
- Performing any other duties and assignment as may be directed by the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar.
Four judgments have been given in favour of the University written this period (2010 – 2012)
|< Prev||Next >|